1921 by Norman Van Aken is, in fact, a love letter to Florida. Chicken from Lake Meadow Naturals, New Smyrna clams, Key West yellowtail, Florida wreckfish and produce from farms mere minutes from the front door highlight the menu.
Agriculture in the state of Florida is a multi-billion-dollar industry, a big business of corporate farmers utilizing massive machines, countless tonnage of chemical fertilizer and pesticides, even computer-guided harvesters and flying drone cameras. There are 48,000 farms spread over 9.5 million acres, according to the Florida Department of Agriculture. The people you’ll meet today are not those farmers.
the next play
Nadra, a spoken word performance artist, returns to her home town to recapture a relationship with Julia, the girl she loved in high school ... a relationship that may or may not have ever existed. Dragging along her fellow street performer, Elvin—The Bucket Boy—the three struggle with the difference between what they think is true, and what actually is the truth.
more orlando diningSee more
- Community Foundation of Jacksonville Art Ventures Fund Grant
- Two-time United Arts Professional Development Grant
- Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Individual Artist Fellowship
- Telly Award for best independent video script
- Galati Research Grant
- "Playing by the Lake" Festival
- Awesome Foundation grant
- Florida Magazine Association "Charlie" Award
- Three-time Artist-in-residence, Atlantic Center for the Arts
- Alternative Programming Chair, Timucua Arts Foundation
- Founding member, GoFLA/Sunshine Plate
- Creator, 13in13
- co-founder, Burry Man Writers Center
- publisher, Spice Maven Press
- Director, The Company of Eccentric Beggars
- Creator, House Theater Project
"Joseph Hayes is one of the new voices that can bring the theater to new audiences. His sense of dialogue and structure, his wit and awareness of the foibles of our society and the humanism that fill the pages of his work make him a true dramatist."
by David Amram
"It takes a particular mindset to be a Renaissance man, someone willing to wear the hats of playwright, music producer, freelance writer, radio personality, spoken-word performer, photographer and self-promoter. All those descriptions would fit Orlando arts advocate Joseph Hayes."
by Jim Abbott Orlando Sentinel
"A play by Joseph Reed Hayes is a welcome oasis of cultured smarts."
by Orlando Weekly
"Writer Joseph Reed Hayes has two nuggets of gold in A Little Crazy, a quiet little two-man comedy inspired by memories of his Russian Jewish grandfather."
by Orlando Sentinel
"The briskness of Hayes' comedy belies the title, A Slow Ride. It's certainly not slow going for an audience."
by Orlando Sentinel