• Staged reading, March 2023
• In development as a full theatrical production, and as the libretto of a new American opera.
TEMPUS:The story of “Duke” Prospero, the deposed King of Swing; his rebellious daughter, the zoot suit-wearing, horn playing Miranda; her potential partner Fiona, daughter of the rival bandleader “King” Alonso; Prospero’s magical muse, the mercurial Ariel; the rulebreaking sax player Caliban; Antonio, Duke's brother-in-law; Stephen, the insidious dreamer; and Gonzalo, the backstage instigator of a jazz/klezmer amalgam.
O ne of Orlando’s most prolific playwrights."
- Orlando Weekly
THE ART OF FOODSee more
THE PLAYS See more
FULL PLAY VIDEOS See more
The Jazz Romance of trumpeter Ben "Blue" Miller and Ellie Grace. A story as passionate as the music.
My other hat is worn as a food writer, travel and feature writer, theater and music critic and cultural explorer. I am available for feature articles and copywriting work, by contract or on assignment.
A play by Joseph Reed Hayes is a welcome oasis of cultured smarts." ~ Orlando Weekly
FEATURE STORIESSee more
jazz ON EDGEshows and videos
For the year-long 13in13 Project, five very special shows were produced. Three appearances to launch the release of FluiDENSITY by Jazz On Edge regular Brian Groder, with pianist Tonino Miano, with a workshop at the UCF Jazz Studies program, then taking their students out to perform at Taste in College Park. Two days later the debut at the prestigious Timucua White House to a standing-room-only audience, where they persuaded Timucua owner Benoit Glazer to join them on trumpet. Jazz On Edge then took over Hannibal's Lounge in Winter Park for sold-out dinner show with vocalist Heather Friedman. Finally, nu-jazz quartet La Lucha became the live band onstage for a performance of Joseph Reed Hayes' play, Solos, at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater.
- • Specific Cultural Project grant, Florida DOS Division of Arts & Culture 2021/22, The Hayes Project
- • Orange County Venue Subsidy Grant, Orange County Government, Arts & Cultural Affairs Program, through United Arts of Central Florida.
- • Five-time Florida Magazine Association "Charlie" Award winner
- • Winner: 2008 Telly Award, Best Independent Video Script
- • Winner: 2022 Orlando Fringe Festival Critics' Choice Awards: Best Director; Best Individual Performance — Drama
- • Winner: 2014 BroadwayWorld Orlando Awards
- • Community Foundation of Jacksonville Art Ventures Fund Grant
- • Two-time United Arts Professional Development Grant
- • Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Individual Artist Fellowship
- • Galati Research Grant
- • Awesome Foundation grant
- • Founder Word Play series, former Alternative Programming Chair, Timucua Arts Foundation
- • Creator, Producer, Pompeii's Table series in partnership with Orlando Science Center and Orange County Arts and Cultural Affairs Office
- • Creator, 13in13
- • Co-founder, Burry Man Writers Center
- • Creator, House Theater Project
- • Creator, Jazz On Edge music series
- • Three-time Artist-in-residence, Atlantic Center for the Arts
- • Director, The Company of Eccentric Beggars